Pages

Papers please. No, Fuck off!

So it seems today is a day to be happy. Its finally official, the end of the hideous ID card scheme. There has been a lot of chatter on the blogs this morning; the English Boat did a good one that I have linked to below.

I joined the NO2ID scheme over three years ago now. We almost set up a Blackburn branch earlier this year, when the government decided to roll them out over here. I think they picked Blackburn because it is a typical leftie Labour voting town. The girl who tried to set up the local branch was a bit of a dizzy student and it didn't get to far. Turns out now though, that that didn't matter.

Now I need to get the hairdryer out and peel the sticker off the back of my car. Also I have a very big pile of various No2ID leaflets that need to be responsibly recycled thrown on the log burner, and my £10 t-shirt is only good for washing the car. That's all fine by me.

The ID card scheme, to me is the most hideous, bullying and intrusive thing, aside from the smoking ban, that Labour came up with. It feels good that it's gone. I'm also glad that they are not refunding any of the numpties that bought into this scheme. I particularly like this comment from the Guardian.

"I wish they'd decided to keep the database, but only for the people who had already voluntarily applied for a card, with massively increased fines for failing to keep their details current.

If they want a Big Brother, they should be able to have one, as long as the rest of us don't have to."


I concur. That would have really rubbed it in. You wanted us all to have to carry these things? Well now you're on your own. You made your bed etc....

Its seems though, even now the scheme is dead, there are still plenty of folk who believe it would have been the best thing since sliced bread. I can't believe some people are still seriously using the term, "nothing to fear". You'd think they would be too embarrassed:

"It would be interesting to see, if ever the opportunity allowed, there was a voluntary ID card how many would apply for one. I know from experiences abroad such a card can be invaluable.
In a security minded world what are people frightened of - something to hide!"


Well I think the first question has been answered. Out of a possible 2 million, 15000 applied. Have I done my maths right? Is that 0.75%?
My mother has always been in favour of ID cards and I never quite managed to convince her that my privacy and my life is a legitimate "something" I have a right (no a duty) to hide from an overbearing and interfering state. She kind of changed her mind after the smoking ban. She totally fell out with Labour when they brought that in.

This is a particularly good one:

Armstrongx15
27 May 2010, 7:47AM
What is the matter with people. Totalitarianism, Orwellian systems such c*rap
Try being a British National resident in Europe having to lug you passport with you for everything from renting a car to flying within national borders.

Being obliged by law always to have it with you all the time. Then try being without out it for 6 weeks as you get it renewed and see how stuffed you are.

I had to drive 1000s of kilometers in Germany to be able to do my job because I could not fly

I want an identity card. Do you really think that your civil liberties are enhanced by scrapping the system


Unbelievable, some people.
Lets have a good look at that comment,

Try being a British National resident in Europe having to lug you passport with you for everything from renting a car to flying within national borders


Lugging your passport? Poor baby. That must be hard work. And we are not British nationals resident in Europe, you are. You made that choice. That is no reason for me and every other free thinker to be registered and controlled on the national identity register.

Being obliged by law always to have it with you all the time. Then try being without out it for 6 weeks as you get it renewed and see how stuffed you are.


If you are obliged to carry it by law, that's the point we are trying to make. Intrusive government asking for your papers. You should be resisting that, not looking for easier ways to comply.

I want an identity card. Do you really think that your civil liberties are enhanced by scrapping the system


I want? What about what other people want. Do you believe that your wants must be forced onto everyone else just because it makes something a little easier for you?
Any libertarian can see that their civil liberties are removed by being forced to carry a card, so yes, they are enhanced by scrapping the system.

To be honest, people like this scare me. They are quite happy to take my rights and freedoms from me and hand them over to the government. They don't care what I want. I must comply. Hopefully now we don't have a government that wants to take away peoples liberty. Hopefully now, things have changed for the better. Hopefully now, people like Armstrong15 will begin to be ignored.

Only time will tell.
I intend to raise a glass (or two) and toast the demise of the ID card this weekend. I'm sure I will not be alone.

0 Comments: