Pages

In Defence of Sainsburys

.....Really.

I get my weekly shopping online from Sainsburys. All their own brand stuff is cheap and good quality (apart from the bread. And the pork pies. And the Hash Browns) and they always get my order right.

I read last week, I think, that when they deliver alcohol they always ask for ID regardless of how old you look. I can't remember where I read it but Nanny Knows Best comes to mind.

Last week I arranged to have my delivery on Friday so I decided to add a couple of cases of John Smiths to see me through the weekend. I also decided to cause a scene when the driver asked me for ID.

First I was going to refuse. When he said he had to take it back I was going to tell him to take everything back. If he agreed I was then going to show him ID. I have a licence to sell alcohol from my pub days. I was going to use that as ID and say, "Ha! Bet you don't have one of these do you?"

Well you know what happened? He put the two cases of booze on the doorstep and didn't bat an eyelid.

I was pleased (And secretly disappointed at the same time).

So Sainsburys went up in my estimates this week. Until just now. My mum says that all their meat is now halal. I'm not pleased anymore but as this is the first I've heard of it, some research is required.

Back in a bit.


Wow! It's actually true! And it seems everyones at it.

Britain's biggest supermarket chains are selling halal lamb and chicken without telling unsuspecting shoppers.
Those stocking meat slaughtered according to Islamic law include Waitrose, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Somerfield and the Co-op.
And a Mail on Sunday investigation has found that fast-food chains including Domino’s Pizza, Pizza Hut, KFC, ­Nando’s and Subway are also using halal meat without ­telling customers

Hang on a minute. Do we believe everything we read in the Daily Mail? Nope. Let's ask Sainsburys.

Back in a mo.


Ah! So it isn't true.

Thanks for your question.

I’ve checked with one of my colleagues in our Southend store and I’m sorry that they don’t stock the Halal range.
To find other stores in your area why not visit our website at www.sainsburys.co.uk and click on our store locator. You can then enter either your postcode or your local store and it’ll show a list of the stores in that area.
If you give one of my colleagues at our Careline a call on 0800 63 62 62, they will be more than happy to find out the nearest store which stocks the Halal range.
I hope my post helps and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Ciaran

Oh well. Looks like I'm happy to continue using Sainsburys.
Tesco can fuck off though.

17 Comments:

PJH said...

Bucko said...

Paul said...

Bucko said...

Anonymous said...

Bucko said...

Anonymous said...

Bucko said...

Anonymous said...

Bucko said...

Anonymous said...

Bucko said...

D-Rex said...

Bucko said...

D-Rex said...

Bucko said...

Paul said...