Pages

Stu Allan

You either know him, or you don't, and age will have a lot to do with it

So if you're still reading...

...I had to stop at the post office on the way to work this morning to pick up a parcel, so ended up driving through town, which I never do. A bit outside the town centre, I ended up stuck in traffic and noticed a couple of large yellow posters slapped on the windown of a derelict shop. They were advertising Stu Allan appearing at Bowlers in Manchester in November 2022

For those who don't know, Stu Allan is a pretty famous nightclub DJ from the 90's. There was a few of them about, but he was a fairly local lad (to the North West) and was well known in the area. There used to be a club in Blackburn called Manhattan heights, that I went to with friends quite often. They often had famous DJs or groups on, and I remember seeing him there one weekend, back in the day

I also saw him at Bowlers in Manchester on one occasion, back when it used to be huge in the early 90's. I say 'saw him', but DJs just play music. It's not like they have a particular act or anything, it's just spinning the tunes while everone gets smacked off their tits and dances. It was always a good thing though to be in a club when one of the big ones were playing

Anyway, seeing those posters this morning brought back all those memories, but I was thinking that I'm far too old to go to a rave at Bowlers now. What did make me giggle is that I'm actually younger than Stu Allan

So younger than him, but too old to attend his gig. Life can work in mysterious ways, at times

When I arrived at work, I got talking about him to the warehouse manager, as he's a similar age. He asked me if I knew how old Stu Allen actually was, but I didn't, so when I got back to my office, I Googled him

It turns out he died in September last year at age 60, after a year long fight against cancer. So he never actually got to do that gig in the end. But if he died in September after being ill for a year, yet he was booked at Bowlers in November, he must have been gigging right up to the very end

It doesn't normally bother me too much when celebrities pass away, but Stu Allan was a big thing in the music scene that I grew up with and still listen to regularly to this day, so I don't mind saying it was a bit sad to read. And 60 sucks. It's not even like you can say he had a good innings

At least he left a legacy. Those who know of him will agree, he will leave an impression in the North West and the 90's music scene

RIP Fellah



0 Comments: