This story in Not Always Right (One of the sites in my sidebar) got me thinking about something that's bugged me for a long, long time
In a nutshell, the story is, young girl has a minimum wage job demonstrating Meta Glasses and other AI related tech. Man comes over and berates he for half an hour about how she's promoting AI, which is going to destroy the world
Now at the moment, I have no problems with AI. For me it's just a superior search engine, but I'm aware of a lot of other practical uses too. It may one day destroy the world, but I've not seen any evidence of it so far
What peaked my ears was the girls response. Quote:
"For roughly the next half hour, this man stands at my display explaining how I, personally, am contributing to the downfall of civilization.
Not Meta.
Not Mark Zuckerberg.
Not the engineers who actually build the AI.
Not lawmakers, executives, investors, or anyone else with any meaningful control over how the technology is developed or used.
Me.
A woman making twenty dollars an hour inside a Best Buy."
Ok, so I don't actually think she's doing anything wrong, and I think the guy berating her was a bit of a prat, and probably believes in chemtrails, but reading her response, she seems to think that AI is wrong, but it's not her fault and she's 'just doing her job'
There are many bad things that have happened in the past and are happening now, that wouldn't be possible without armies of drones doing their jobs
In my response to the post I mentioned Trump, because everyone on that heavily left leaning site hates Trump. If Trump wants a bad thing to happen, he's powerless to make it so, without a lot of other people doing it for him
Trump wants to kick out illegal immigrants, so he sends in ICE.
ICE aren't just a bunch of enforcers who kick in doors and arrest people. That's just the bit you see in the news. There will also be a small army of back office staff, administrators, clerks, accountants, lawyers, cleaners, mechanics, and countless others I can't even think of. There is also the logistics involved in arresting a lot of people and transporting them to other countries, along with the legal framework that has to be followed
If Trump wants to deport illegal immigrants, it takes thousands of other people to actually make it work
Unfortunately for us in England, our Government wants to import illegal immigrants. Even that requires a lot of enablers. It's not just a case of doing nothing and letting it happen. The RNLI has to go rescue them from the small boats, the police have to turn up and arrest the protesters, the courts have to jail the protestors, the coach drivers have to turn up and pick up the illegals, the hotels and their staff and security have to look after them, the DWP has to find the benefit money and route it to them, the Home Office has to fast track their asylum claims, the police have to arrest them for rape, the courts have to give them bail so they can bugger off out the country and try again
Facilitating illegal immigration to England, and all the bad things that happen as a result, requires thousands of enablers
If your council tax goes up and you are annoyed because the council can't even empty the bins properly, there will always be someone available to deal with you if you refuse to pay. Even if you think your council tax is quite reasonable, just imagine the number of people required to collect council tax from every household in the UK, and distribute it to the correct places
Even the BBC employs a lot of people to turn up at your door and bald faced lie to you about needing a TV licence
None of this is new to you, and it's a very old saying: "There are 650 of them and 65 million of us"
But there aren't 650 of them. There are millions
If Mark Zuckerberg wants to sell Meta glasses that will rise up and enslave humanity, he can't do it by touring Best Buy stores and demonstrating them himself, he needs to pay people to do it for him
And people need jobs
Where I work, we do a lot of contracts for other companies. I've seen a Muslim refuse to work with alcohol and a vegan refuse to work with animal products. Both times it was no problem, as there were others to do the work, other things for them to do, and our company found the objections to be reasonable
I would like to think that if we took on a contract shipping rubber boats to France, I would refuse
But I'm old, and close to retirement, I'm not a young girl on minimum wage trying to afford her next Costa coffee
And how would it work out anyway, if people started to think more about the morality of the work they do? I think there will always be enough people who think even the worst things are perfectly fine and would be happy doing them. If thousands of people left their jobs on moral grounds, thousands of others would take them up on their own, different moral grounds. After all. most of Jesus's friends were tax collectors...
Yes, no matter how bad those at the top try to make things, they will always have their army of enablers to make it possible
Covid taught me that
2 Comments:
Post a Comment